By Jon Watje
A Minco couple was arrested and charged with child neglect, cruelty to animals, and drug possession.
Vernon Leon Chestnutt, 45, and Sheila Chestnutt, 42, were booked into the Grady County jail on Thursday, June 4 after a reported fire at his residence at 507 NW Belle St. Police and fire crews responded to the scene.
According to the police report, Mrs. Chestnutt, told them that her youngest son set a mattress on fire next to her bedroom window.
While on scene, officers located four dogs that were inside a vehicle on the property and they discovered one of them deceased from the heat and three others in critical condition, the report said. A Minco Animal Control Officer transported the three breathing dogs to the Animal Emergency Center in Oklahoma City, where another one of the dogs died.
According to the police report, police discovered roaches all over the floor of the house, walls, animal feces on the air vents on the living room floor on the bottom shelf of the door, rotting food in a refrigerators, dishes that still had food leftovers in the sink collecting mold and roaches and no bedding on the futons the three children slept on, nor any pillows.
Officers said they also located meth, marijuana, a loaded pistol, and a shotgun.
A DHS worker arrived on scene to take custody of the two children at the home.
Mrs. Chestnutt’s bond was set at $100,000 and Mr. Chestnutt’s bond was set at $75,000.