Thursday, August 21, 2014
Search By Keyword
Breaking News Alerts
Email Alerts
Email Address
Text Alerts
Mobile Number
 )  - 
Mobile Provider
standard messaging rates apply
Tammy Whygle,32, and Jason Mark Matthews, 32, were arrested Wednesday night in connection with recent burglaries at Tiger Safari. (Provided photo)

By Jeff Harrison
Managing Editor

Grady County Sheriff's deputies arrested two suspects Wednesday night in connection with recent burglaries at Tiger Safari near Tuttle.

According to park owner Bill Meadows, an employee, while performing animal care last night, spotted a woman inside intern living quarters. The woman, later identified as 34-year-old Tammy Whygle, of Blanchard, fled on foot.

Deputies later tracked down Whygle, a former Tiger Safari employee, about 1 1/2 miles from park.  Jason Mark Matthews, 32, of Oklahoma City, was also arrested.

When deputy Tim Spratt arrived on the scene, he saw a white Mustang pulled up to the intersection. Spratt noticed the vehicle had a broken tail light and stopped the vehicle. The driver identified himself as Matthews and said that he was Whygle's boyfriend.

While Spratt was speaking with him, Whygle walked up on the traffic stop. The deputy asked for permission to search the vehicle. Upon searching the vehicle, numerous tools, a toolbox, camera and other assorted items were found. These items were marked “Tiger Safari” and were from a burglary the previous week at Tiger Safari.

Matthews admitted to dropping off Whygle for the first burglary. Whygle and Matthews were booked into the Grady County Jail last night. Both are expected to be charged today.

Tiger Safari was also burglarized last week. A park employee called authorities about 2:30 a.m. on Saturday, Dec. 27 after hearing an unfamiliar noise. Several power tools, televisions, tranquilizer guns, rifles and miscellaneous items were reported missing. Many of the missing items were recovered Wednesday night.

"A lot of the property still had our name on it," he said. "We had written "Tiger Safari" with a marker on the tools and stuff. And I didn't even realize everything that was missing until they found that stuff last night."

Meadows thanked the sheriff's department for their efforts.

"Those guys were out there in the cold searching for the suspects, and I just really appreciate all of their hard work," he said. "And we don't take enough time to thank them for what they do."

Meadows said this is the first time the park has been burglarized. He said the park is staff 24 hours a day. Deputies also drive by the park as part of their night patrol.

click ad below for details
  • Show All Ads